Ear Candy

Inspired by Clara’s crusade to banish the beige, I spent a nice Saturday making these lacquered paper and foil slip-on hearing aid covers. Although they were spared from the latest leak from the upstairs neighbours’ shower yesterday, it alerted me to the fact that plastic might be slightly more practical in a wet climate. Another design flaw emerged when I tried them on. They may look quite pretty in a photo, but they’re completely invisible behind my giant left lug, which seems to be rapidly assuming old man proportions.

Worse still, I’ve got a bit of explaining to do when the spouse discovers that his beautiful and expensive hand printed Japanese paper collection is full of tiny hearing aid shaped holes…

6 Responses to “Ear Candy”

  1. 1 Summer March 10, 2012 at 6:27 am

    Hey, I have the Siemens Motion series of hearing aids for both ears (much larger than those ones, but equally as beige and blah). Do you have a tutorial for making these or a guide of sorts. I’d LOVE to make some for my hearing aids! This is such a wonderful idea.

    • 2 moiradancer March 10, 2012 at 11:15 am

      Hi Summer,

      lovely to hear from you. I made these as an experiment but, unfortunately, they rather flatter to deceive. They’re simply made out of about three layers of tissue paper and PVA glue papier maché (to keep them thin) and a single top layer of Japanese paper. They’re pretty delicate, but would last for a night out or something. The big problem is, for working papier maché, you need something to use as an accurate mould to build the layers up on to. Now, as we all know, hearing aids and wet stuff do NOT go together (even putting them in the same sentence feels risky), so using the hearing aid itself as a mould would land you with a $4000 replacement bill 😦 The only way to do this process safely would be to get a dead identical hearing aid from somewhere to use as the mould, and that’s the tricky bit!

      If you could get your hands on one, you would just layer the paper on top using any standard papier maché recipe, trim to fit once it had dried fully, and punch a mic hole.

      I made a not quite accurate mould myself using a process which I won’t describe because it was so stupid and I would absolutely hate for someone to end up with a set of damaged aids by trying it out. If you do manage to get hold of a thrown away aid from somewhere, let me know and I’ll do a step by step photo tutorial of the papier maché bit!

      • 3 Kim January 3, 2013 at 1:26 am

        This is scarily close to an idea I had. My idea, however, was more along the lines of a thin fabric with a printed design, and attached to a rubbery see-through material. I just want to figure out the best way to go about this hearing aid cover-up idea, because I really get bored of my purple hearing aid and would like to change it up for different occasions.
        A while back I got really determined to complete this mission, and started to get onto my idea for designs and what not. Here’s a link to one of them (http://i47.tinypic.com/33v0v1s.jpg) Obviously I just cut up paper and didn’t cover it and blah blah but imagine how fabulous these would look?

        Please reply soon, I really would like to know how to pimp my ‘aids.

      • 4 moiradancer January 3, 2013 at 3:57 pm

        Hi Kim,

        love your spots, I’m very partial to a polkadot myself! I never took the paper covers any further than these prototypes cos I got a different type of hearing aid so they didn’t fit!

        Decorative nail stickers seem to be the hearing aid pimping method of choice for many people though, and this site at http://pimpmyhearingaids.wordpress.com/ has some great examples of how to go about it. I’m far too fickle to commit to any designs for longer than 5 minutes, so I quite like the stretchy Spandex fabric method I used for these two rather outlandish cover-ups:


        They whip on and off in seconds They’re open top and bottom so that they slip on and off without having to remove the domes, and have a single hand-oversewn seam up the curved edge at the back where all the switches, mic hole etc are. The cover can be twisted round slightly once it’s on so that the seam isn’t visible. I’ve got plain ones in a variety of colours, I made them originally for cutting out wind noise when walking/ cycling, and they work pretty well for that and cost peanuts if you buy remnants of fabric.

        To work out the shape, I stretched the fabric firmly round the hearing aid and stitched it up the curved back edge by hand. I then carefully marked the stitch line and top and bottom edges with a fine pen, before cutting the stitches to release the ha. I then cut along the pen lines on the fabric and that became my pattern. The stitching on the finished thing stops about 10mm from the top to allow a med dome to slip easily in and out, but you could adjust that for slipping the tube through for your moulds.

        I keep meaning to do a tutorial, so you’ve prompted me to get on the case. Have fun on your mission!

  2. 5 mggueye February 14, 2015 at 3:14 pm

    Oh wow! I wished they could have been more practical! What a great idea! Decorating mine and my son’s hearing aids is my latest obsession. I have created a group on Facebook about it! Please join to see ideas and share your own 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Blog Stats

  • 184,580 hits

%d bloggers like this: